Before it’s declared too late to speak about anything that happened in 2016, I wanted to give my opinion on the movies of last year. 2016 was a terrible year filled with great movies, but here are a couple of my all time favourites.
- Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children (source!) Being a HUGE fan of the books, this is obviously at the top of my list. The cast was absolutely incredible and Tim Burton did an outstanding job of really capturing the peculiarity of it all. The only downside to this movie was that it was really quite different from the book plot, but if you watched the movie without having read the series by Ransom Riggs, it would seem flawless. Lots of people have picked fights about the movie vs. the book, some say they hated the movie and praise the book while others love both equally. I personally fall somewhere in the middle. Honestly it was a bit strange to watch my favourite book play out differently than the original plot, but when I try to look at the movie and the book as separate stories it works out much better. The peculiarity switch between the characters Emma Bloom and Olive Elephanta still bothered me and caused a bit of confusion, but the actresses portraying them (Ella Purnell and Lauren McCrostie) did so fantastic that I almost forgot what bothered me in the first place. One thing I would’ve liked to see was a more diverse cast, with more people of colour included. But overall, despite my love for the book, the Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children movie was awesome. It had action, comedy, romance, horror, drama; easily climbing up the list to be my favourite movie. I also fell in love with all the actors, but especially the first three from the left. 🙂
- Captain America: Civil War (source!) Whooo, this one was so good! I remember watching it in theatres with a few of my close friends. It had just the right amount of action and drama with a hint of comedy. It really grabbed my attention when it told me I had to choose a side (which I have not and never will) because it tempted me to want to watch it so I could figure out why I had to choose a side to begin with. I found it so brilliant how they brought in characters from different movies such as Ant-Man and Spider-Man, it was honestly just super cool to see literally all my favourite superheros in one movie. Probably one of my favourite Marvel films ever. Any movie with Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr., Sebastian Stan, Scarlett Johansson AND Tom Holland has got to be the best!
- Finding Dory (source!)
This movie was just too cute. It was so great to finally see a sequel to Finding Nemo (which is one of my favourite Pixar/Disney films). Finding Dory made me laugh and cry, overall, probably one of the best animated movies made. And it was so smart to focus this one on Dory instead of Nemo, it’s like you’re finding out the backstory that lead to Dory and Marlin’s friendship. Definitely one of the top movies I was anticipating for in 2016.
If the movies in 2016 were that good, I can only imagine how much better the ones in 2017 are going to be like. Some of the movies I’m excited for are:
- The Space Between Us (source!) I AM SO LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS MOVIE. If you like dramatic rom-com movies, I expect to see you in the theatre on February 3 when it comes out. It’s all about a boy named Gardner Elliot, the first human to be born on Mars. Feeling isolated on his home planet, he makes an internet friend from Earth, Tulsa, whom he later falls in love with. Destined to see her, when Gardner takes his first trip to Earth, he sneaks out to meet her. During that time, Tulsa shows him all the joys and wonders of Earth. I feel like this would be such a heartwarming film, highlighting all the good things about life. It shows what we take for granted. Using Gardner, a person who has no experience with anything related to Earth, this movie walks us through the amazing things we have everyday such as rain and horses and hot air balloons. I think it reminds us to pay attention to the little things that we never even stop to enjoy. No doubt I’ll pre-order my tickets to see this movie!
- Spider-Man: Homecoming (source!) I have this one marked in all of my calendars. July 7… I’m counting down the days. I absolutely LOVED Tom Holland as Spiderman in Captain America: Civil War, so I am super excited to see his very own movie. Even though I really liked both Andrew Garfield and Tobey Maguire as Spider-Man, Tom Holland might just top them in my mind. I feel like he really captures Peter Parker’s unique personality. I was also really happy to see a lot of people of colour in the trailer such as Peter Parker’s best friend and crush. It is so important to represent minorities in big movies like this and I’m glad that Spider-Man: Homecoming did that. Also, bonus points for this movie for having Zendaya is in it because I love her.
- Beauty & the Beast (source!) First things first, can we just talk about how GOOD EMMA WATSON LOOKS AS BELLE?!? Round of applause for the casting director, you did well! For some reason, I love Disney princess movies filmed with real people. In my opinion, they should make more, starting with the Little Mermaid. But as for this one, I’m thrilled to watch what I think will be the most magical film of 2017. Disney always has a way of using movie magic so that the end product is incredible, I’m sure the entire theatre will have their jaw dropped in awe. Give me a ticket to this movie, a box of popcorn and I’ll be set!
What were your favourite movies of 2016 and which ones are you looking forward to this year?
(featured image x)