Due to your insight, dedication, and value to our city and its future, you are invited to…
Youth Are Calgary Conference
June 10th, 2017
The event will take place in the Main Atrium of the Calgary Municipal Building
800 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary, AB T2P 2M5
The Calgary Mayor’s Youth Council would like for you to share your opinions on important local issues and your innovative ideas on how we can solve them so they can compile your feedback into documents that can be presented to the relevant policy makers and community groups. This is your chance to play a role in influencing the future of our city!
The conference will bring together passionate and interested youth from all across the city in round table discussions about the following topics:
- Youth Homelessness
- Educational Reform
- Civic and Political Engagement
Between facilitated discussions, snacks, lunch, and networking, you will also get the chance to speak to our many guest speakers, who will be imparting their knowledge on the topics at hand:
- Jeff Dyer, CEO of The Boys & Girls Clubs of Calgary
- Naheed Nenshi, Mayor of Calgary
- Dr. Matt Cristison, PhD, Principal of Robert Thirsk High School
- The Honourable Kent Hehr, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Member of Parliament for Calgary Centre
No background knowledge on the three topics are needed to attend this conference, and no prior preparation and research is needed! Our speakers will provide you a background on the state of the topics as they stand in our city and communities, we simply want to hear your authentic feedback and suggestions!
SIGN ME UP!
All who are interested in attending are encouraged to complete a brief application expressing your desire to come to the event! The questions are short and the process should not take longer than 15-20 minutes out of your day! The application is considered your proof of interest and those who complete the application will be invited to attend.
The event is 100% FREE and will include food, snacks and drinks, supplies, and a great time!
and in case you are still not convinced…
WHY SHOULD I ATTEND?
- NETWORKING: Meet other like-minded and involved youth from around the city that you otherwise would not have the chance to meet!
- INVOLVEMENT: This is your chance to get involved in your city to make a positive change and give back to your community!
- ACTIVISM: By attending the conference, you will be speaking up about local issues and helping solve them, which is part of being an active and civilly engaged citizen
- FREE FOOD: Speaks for itself.
- GUEST SPEAKERS: Ever wanted to chat with a community leader? Now is your chance! Not only are the speakers attending the conference to impart their wisdom, they are also there to speak to YOU! Use this as your chance to chat with them and learn from these successful and smart individuals
- NO PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE NECESSARY: Unsure if you want to attend as you don’t know much about the three issues? Unsure if you would have anything to contribute You absolutely do not need to complete any prior research to prepare for this conference (though you are of course welcome to!). The Mayor’s Youth Council wants to hear your opinion and outlook, and especially your personal experiences and stances on teh three issues at hand. The discussions will be facilitated and moderated so everyone gets a chance to share their voice on the topics at hand and to guide you to an insightful answer.
SEE YOU ON JUNE 10th AT CITY HALL!
Questions? Comment below or email firstname.lastname@example.org